Towards a carbon neutral event by 2025!
Since its founding in 2017, Aero Gatineau-Ottawa has been concerned about the environmental impact of its operations. Several measures have been put in place over the years to reduce our ecological footprint, but in the face of the global climate emergency, we feel the urgency to do more and to do better. We are therefore making a formal commitment to become a carbon neutral event by 2025.
To reach this goal, Aero Gatineau-Ottawa has first committed to an environmental impact assessment process with the Conseil québécois des événements écoresponsables in 2021. This will allow us to better understand how to reduce our footprint and, with our partners, to identify the strategies necessary to reach our objective. Here are some of the actions that will be in place for the 2022 edition:
- Purchase of 100 tons of Planetair Gold Standard certified carbon credits from the Planetair ETS portfolio, which funds university applied engineering research on climate change;
- Showcasing new, greener technologies, including electric aircraft;
- Measures to encourage active transportation, including bike racks;
- Water stations to reduce the use of individual bottles;
- A team dedicated to recycling and composting in collaboration with the City of Gatineau and Enviro Éduc-Action;
- Development of a green policy;
- Priority selection of local suppliers.
The environment is an issue that concerns us all.